Peekachello Art

I had a few white oak offcuts (or off-turnings) from another project I'm working on. Was wondering what I could do with them when a friend of mine told a story about her sister (who was a little bit crazy) sending her a piece of cake from Japan to the US. Apparently it was intact when it arrived at her house, but a month in the mail had allowed time for some mold and such to grow.

Turned oak donut, no frosting

Anyway, I decided I could send her a wooden donut. It's gluten free, no carb, high-fiber, vegan, and best of all won't spoil in the mail!

White oak with fake frosting and clay sprinkles.

Homer Simpson, drooling

Mmmmm… donut!

#woodworking #woodturning #art


cholla and epoxy bowl 3, backlit

cholla and epoxy bowl 3, top view

cholla and epoxy bowl 3, side view 1

cholla and epoxy bowl 3, side view 2

cholla and epoxy bowl 3, bottom view

My third bowl made from cholla and epoxy. I laid the cholla canes in flat, rather than standing on end, and poured multiple colors of epoxy, tilting the blank a different direction with each pour. The bowl is just over 9 inches in diameter, and just under 2 inches high (so it probably is more of a plate than a bowl).

#woodworking #cholla #epoxy


Cholla and epoxy bowl 2

Cholla and epoxy bowl 2

Cholla and epoxy bowl 2

Cholla and epoxy bowl 2 top view

Cholla and epoxy bowl 2 bottom view

My second bowl made from cholla wood and epoxy, with blue, green, yellow and red tints in the epoxy. The blue is darker than I intended, almost a black, but I think overall it works.

#bowl #cholla #epoxy #woodworking #woodturning


Clay-Colored Sparrow on Ravenna Grass

One afternoon we looked out the window to see a bunch of small birds feeding on the seeds of our Ravenna grass. This was the best photo of the bunch, I think.

#photography #birb


black chinned hummingbird on a yucca stalk

This little fellow believed he owned our hummingbird feeder much of our first summer in New Mexico. He would perch on the stalk of a yucca flower for hours, guarding the feeder which was about 20 feet from his throne.

#photography #birb


Prickly Pear

Another photo taken in our yard in New Mexico, this prickly pear had flowered, and one of the local rabbits had nibbled on a flower (we guess). I thought it looked pretty.

#photography #plant


Hummingbird feeding at a butterfly bush

I caught this hummingbird feeding at the butterfly bush in our front courtyard our first summer in New Mexico. We initially thought it was an Anna’s Hummingbird, so we named her (?) Annabelle.

#photography #birb


Red Hot Poker

A Red Hot Poker in our yard caught my eye one evening. The sun was setting behind the trees behind it, so it was lit by the “golden hour” light reflecting off our house. This is one of the first of my photos that I framed myself.

#photography #plants


Too Much Circles Flask front view

Too Much Circles Flask rear view

This is a flask I made that holds about a pint. It’s white oak, with cherry inserts on the faces. One of the cherry inserts has olive, oak and ash inserts, the other is turned. The stopper is ash.

It was made for a swap on Lumberjocks.

#woodworking #swap #flask


Home plaque

I was reading The Individualist by Todd Rundgren a while back, and the saying “Home is where the fart is,” stuck in my brain.

When we moved into our house in Santa Fe, I made a plaque with that saying on it to hang near our front door. My sweetie loves it.


Enter your email to subscribe to updates.